Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Today Goodtar, tomorrow the world

For whatever reason I can't stop thinking up songs with people's names in the titles. I try to not record all of them because it would get silly having a bunch of names on my albums. I guess it is like Lou Reed talking about "Satellite of Love." In the original Velvet Underground version of the song, which is much better by the way, the characters are names Winken, Blinken, and Nod. On the not as good Transformer version he uses real names. He said that in the early days he was afraid to use real people's names. I guess he had to work up the courage. That's probably why "Oh Gin" later became "Oh Jim." I suppose I reached that point recently where I wasn't afraid to use names in my songs. Unfortunately it has backfired to a point where I have trouble writing about anything else. The names I pick out usually don't represent any actual people I know, but still! I guess the next step is to work on some new titles.

Also I'm still sitting on piles and piles of unreleased stuff. Hopefully it doesn't all go to waste until my posthumous box set. I need to get back on the horse and do some stuff!

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that the VU originally did "Satellite of Love," despite the fact that I have the two-disc Loaded CD, which it's apparently on.
    Anyway, keep on truckin' Goodtar! I like the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they also originally did Andy's Chest, I Love You, and a few other early Lou Reed solo songs. I guess that's normal for a band that's about to break up.

    ReplyDelete