Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Positive Honey Home

I think it's interesting how much people are influenced by bands they don't like. So many times the music people start playing is in reaction to not hearing anything they like on the radio.

It is very much the same for me. A few years back I heard that album everybody loves, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. When listening to it I remember thinking that it was almost the complete opposite of what I would want to sound like if I started my own band. A few years later when I started making my own music I started to incorporate so many of those opposites in my music. I noticed that Jeff Mangum created false excitement in his songs by strumming his acoustic guitar very fast, so I decided to play mine real slow. I couldn't stand his obtuse lyrics, so I made my lyrics very clear and easy to understand. All this help me shape my signature sound.

There's not very much in my music that sounds like The Minutemen or They Might be Giants or any bands I actually like, but some band that I don't even like all that much had a great impact on me. I think it's really weird how that happens. But seriously, why do people like that album so much?

1 comment: